Thursday, June 23, 2011

L is for Logan


Picked up the cuties from VBS this afternoon.

I was running a tad late.

Leland was on my hip trying to get down and go play in mulch or eat dirt.  I was just trying to stay on track and not be the 'the mom' who consistently makes her kids feel like they are the last to get picked up.

I saw a woman grabbing a bald little cutie pie from his car seat...still sound asleep.  He was about Leland's size, just a tad smaller....cute little plaid overalls and sandals.  I'm a sucker for sandals on babies.

She said he was tired out from his treatment.  In a moment, it all made sense.  This little boy was sick.

I was compelled to ask questions but wondered if it would be painful to talk about it...she politely told me his condition is called Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and has been in treatment for 8 months now. 

I couldn't help but notice how many similarities there were to Leland....the size, the cuteness of their little cankles, their hands.  Leland stayed on my hip like an angel as I spoke to this woman (Grandma to baby Logan) and in my heart, I whispered thanks to God for the health of my children that I often take for granted.

I asked her if there was a way to help...to help with the costs.  She seemed surprised that someone would ask and mentioned that almost nothing is covered by insurance and his parents (with 4 children total) are drowning in bills.

She gave me a little flyer and asked if I knew anyone with a 'service' to donate for an auction they have coming up in July.  I knew I needed to blog about this....I don't even know this boy or his family.  All I know is that he deserves what Leland has....and he deserves to not be in pain all the time....and he deserves to laugh and play without the extreme fatigue.

His little lips were perfect and it was all I could do not to kiss on him myself.  Instead, I thought how beautiful would it be if anyone reading these words would be moved by compassion enough....to do something.

Perhaps you have a service you can donate...or perhaps you simply want to bless this family with a little help.  Could you imagine how YOU would feel if some crazy Mom blogger was moved by compassion to DO SOMETHING for your child?  Let's love this little Logan....

Here is how. 

You know a wise friend of mine once said...."Compassion with no action is merely pity...." 

If you would like to donate a service or some kind for their auction, email me at jessica@joelmillerdesign.com and I'll send you the details. 

Thanks compassionate friends....hug those children tight...pray for those who are fighting for their right to live...


No comments: