Thursday, September 22, 2011

I woke up this morning to several inbox notes from readers asking a similar question since yesterday's guest post over at Sparkle Power! The question was:

How do you maintain a vegan lifestyle when your children/husband do not?

This very question kept me from giving it a GO for months. Honestly, it wasn't until I was keeled over in pain from endometriosis for days on end. Enough was enough.

I guess my 'secret' is not cooking entirely different meals, just altering them slightly.
I also stick to vegan shortening, bread & dough(s) no matter what.

Here is a sample menu from this week:

Breakfast
Joel: Cracklin Oat Bran w/Milk
Me: Cracklin Oat Bran w/Almond Milk
Boys: Whole grain waffles w/syrup
(we are obsessed with Cracklin Oat Bran btw.OBSESSED)

Snacks
Honeycrisp apple

Lunch
Joel: Sandwich or go out to eat in OHC
Me: Veggie wrap & Pita chips w/ hummus
Boys: Turkey wrap

Snack
Pretzels/Almonds

Dinner
Joel: Chicken on the Grill, grilled asparagus, roasted potatoes
Me: Black Bean burger on the grill, grilled asparagus, roasted potatoes
Boys: Chicken, asparagus, potatoes

As you can see, we are eating similar meals. The change is easy once you look at it like this. It's also helped that all 3 of my men have started to love some vegan meals I've made and that is even better.


A few other favorites of ours is cooking pasta with any and all veggies we can find in the fridge, adding fresh herbs from the garden & cayenne for heat & massive amount of garlic. Simple easy & comforting.

Vegan pizza is super easy & satisfying - I just am sure to include savory toppings (i.e. olives, artichokes, peppers, etc) to give me the salty taste since there is no cheese.





















Hoping this is helpful to some of you considering the change. I will tell you aside from the obvious health improvement, I have lost 12lbs, have an amazing amount of energy & everything in my body just 'works' right.

To those of you on the fence, give it a go for 21 days! That is how long it took me to really feel a difference. Good Luck!

No comments: