Tuesday, February 23, 2010

baby-friendly cleaning...



So, I have been on a 'self-educating' kick these days...anything I didn't know how to do albeit cooking, baking, organizing, I am teaching myself these days. I just want to be better at making my home a place that is the haven we had hoped for. It seems many of you are the same....years of doing things one way but there could be better or more safe/healthy ways to do them.

So, last night I hopped out for a little 'break' to get some ingredients to make a few household cleaners....here is what I used. Oh and I didn't make this stuff up...just googled it. :) *Quick tribute to Google for being the cheapest college education I could ever ask for*



ALL PURPOSE CLEANER

1 cup vinegar

1/4 cup Baking Soda

1 liter Hot water

a few drops of a mild dish detergent

10 drops of essential oil, optional (I used Lavender)

HOMEMADE DISINFECTANT

Fill 32oz spray bottle with hot water

Add 3TBSP of Castile Soap

Add 20-30 drops of essential oils

HOMEMADE WINDOW CLEANER

½ t mild dish detergent

3T vinegar

2 cups water

Put all these ingredients into a spray bottle. Shake this up some and use it just like the commercial variety.

HOMEMADE SOFT SCRUB
(make this one as you need it)

Simply put a small amount of baking soda in a bowl and add liquid dish detergent until you have smooth paste or frosting like substance. This very well on sinks and counters and won’t scratch the surface.

Hope you find these helpful....I found after looking at how much I have left of the ingredients these homemade cleaners call for....I literally will not be buying the $3.99 or $5.99 cleaners anymore...and will have them at my disposal for well over 6-12 months.

***CAUTION - Never mix Bleach with with Vinegar or Ammonia....can cause harmful fumes


ALSO....since many of us are in the same boat, follow me on here and I'll continue posting those money-saving ideas that might benefit us all! If YOU are like me and have found another great way to improve home-life, let me know! Let's learn together!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks Jessica! I'm going to the store tonight to buy the ingredients and make my own cleaners! I've heard about this forever...but you inspired me (hopefully the ants will be gone forever!! :)