Wednesday, January 5, 2011

a birthday

There are few things in life I love more than the innocence of a child.

This morning was an example of that.

I had gotten up early to run.  Got home.  Felt great. 

I heard Joel's alarm going off but saw no awake Joel.  I crawled into bed, snuggled & stole all that warmth.  A few minutes later, pitter patter was all we heard.

Jude raced into our room with a stuffed animal in his hand.  He said, "Mommy! This is SALLY!"  I said, 'Hi Sally!" 

Jude said, "Mommy, it's Sally's Birthday today....remember?"  "Oh, right....uh....Happy Birthday, Sally!"  i responded.

Jude hugged this little dog - of which I had never heard of being called Sally.  He hugged it and kept wishing her the most wonderful birthday.  He even assured her that he'd be home in no time from school to celebrate with cake!

Cake?  I thought.

"Honey, who is going to make this cake darling?"

"Mommy, YOU ARE!  While I'm at school."  he said enthusiastically.

"Oh right, because Mommy doesn't have anything else to do today, right?"  I said with a hint of sarcasm.

Jude simply, 'Exactly."

*SMIRK*

I dropped him off.  All day long, I would walk by that little dog and think about how disappointed Jude would be if there wasn't a cake when he got home.  I'm serious  -  it haunted me a little.

So, I got my act together, pulled out a small little heart-shaped cake pan, and whipped up some chocolate frosting & sprinkles.

Jude was THRILLED when he got home.  He lined Sally and all her friends around the cake and we even sang to her.  Yes  -  we sang to a stuffed dog.


Oh the things we do for these little ones....

No comments: